The Swedish Vallhund Society Championship Show 2018
By Dr.Chris Millard
This was the first time the Society held its Championship show in conjunction with National Working and Pastoral Breeds and it was a great honour to be invited to judge.
I would like to thank the exhibitors for their lovely entry of 31 exhibits, also the committee of the Swedish Vallhund Society for the invitation, and National Working and Pastoral Breeds and Mrs Anne Arch for looking after me. I would also like to thank my two stewards for their help in particularly challenging conditions. I don’t think I have ever judged in such heat and without any shade, good job I took a sunhat.
It proved to be a very long day for judge, exhibitors and most importantly dogs since the NWPB judging took place before our show in the same ring and the judge had Aussies then vallhunds. I think it would be better in future for vallhunds to be scheduled first, with a change of ring for the second breed if required.
The ring itself was not very satisfactory since it was at the end of the showground away from any trees which could have given some shade. It also sloped badly and had a dip running the whole length which made assessing movment a challenge, but I was amazed how well the dogs coped. Thankfully the SVS team had brought a gazebo and this was well used by exhibitor’s to shade their dogs. I thought the dogs coped far better with the heat than the humans present. There was a very friendly and sporting atmosphere ringside, and I thoroughly enjoyed the appointment.
Unfortunately because of the extreme conditions there were many absentees and most of these sent their apologies which I thought a very nice touch.
I last judged the breed at Crufts 2015 and found this entry greatly improved in terms of quality and in particular with regard to the issues I identified in the Crufts entry. Temperaments were excellent as was toplines, only a few dipped behind the withers. Heads were also excellent,some of the females in particular had very beautiful heads, again a small minority with rounded skulls, and no light round eyes in this entry at all. I also found fronts were improved just a few overloaded, wide and out at the elbows. Dentition was also excellent not one incorrect bite, although some teeth could certainly do with a wash and brush up. Coats were very difficult to assess as most had no undercoat or were in the process of blowing. It was possible to appraise coat texture and I felt some top coats were too soft ,and not the medium harsh texture specified in the standard. Type was still varied with all shapes and sizes present in the entry. Also a few were lacking hard muscular condition so important in any working breed.
Taking the entry overall I thought it was of high quality and vastly improved, with some promising youngsters coming up through the classes which bodes well for the future of this wonderful breed. It was also good to see some new and very enthusiastic exhibitors.
One of the pleasure of judging is finding that special exhibit that stands out and today my BOB and major winners were a prime example, and I guess the reason I still enjoy judging. Some of the classes were both a joy and a heachache to judge because the exhibits were high quality, and had different attributes that I equally admired. Since judging is essentially an aesthetic activity it was a case of my individual preference, always of course with reference to the requirements of the breed standard.
Finally, I would also like to pay tribute to Ch Starvon Rumors Has It. It was dreadful learning a few days before the show that she had died. She was our breed record holder and I consider her one of the best vallhunds her owner has ever bred. She was a great loss to the breed and also to her owners, since she was a much loved pet as well as a very successful showgirl. It was very poignant having to mark her absent in veteran bitch.
1. Allsops Ch Eldhastens Bobbo Viking (imp Swe) ShCM. RCC and BVET.
Headed a very strong class. This 11 years young boy is all male, has a lovely head and expression, nice dark eye of the correct oval shape. Excellent topline with a good depth to his chest. Nice sloping croup, good rear angulation. Nice coat texture and good mask and harness markings. Very positive on the move particularly in side extension.
2. Lewis’s Ch Starvon Vanquish ShCM.
Another excellent male. Red of the most attractive colour. His head and expression was also excellent. He had a good front, good bone and well sprung ribs. Short strong loin and well let down hocks. Sound mover just preferred winner’s size and topline.
3. Dodds, Starvon Talk of the Town
Minor Puppy Dog (1)
Allens Kintalis Tangled In Tinsel of Kitsam. Best Puppy.
Lovely to see such a happy alert young puppy enjoying his day out. He has the most attractive wedge shaped head and kindly expression. His size and overall body proportions are good, and he has a good mask and harness markings. Solid topline, and good front and reach of neck ,although obviously he needs to mature and tighten all through. Going through that awkward leggy stage, but all the essentials are there. Moved soundly, and although alone he deserved his best puppy award
Puppy Dog (0).
1. Stockbridges Valladar Call of Duty. CC,BOB and BIS.
This boy really took my breath away,15mths with a beautiful masculine head and expression, he had good head planes and the required almost flat skull. The best front of the day, good markings, lovely depth to his chest and correct pro sternum. Excellent body proportions ,good tuck up and nicely muscled quarters. Out moved everything today, so sound really driving from the rear without any hint of high stepping or choppy movement in front. He was also well muscled and showed himself off superbly for one so young. I really hope he makes up to Champion.
2.Perry and Etches Starvon Cryptic Spyda.
Unlucky to meet winner in such form. A darker boy but correctly marked with a nice wedge shaped head, nice stop and good blunt muzzle.. Well laid shoulders, good height to body ratio. excellent bend of stifle. Well handled but not as positive on the move today as winner.
3.Hackneys Starvon Bring IT On.
Post Graduate dog (1), 1 Abs.
1.Sibleys Thorjakker Hundi Homnelvik.
This boy headed a very strong class. He is of a lovely size, particularly liked his height of leg. Has a lovely wedge shaped head, excellent eye colour and shape, a correct front with an impressive prosternum, He had a nice textured coat, rock solid topline and short strong loin. A sound mover when he co-operated with his handler. Considered him for the RCC but he didn’t have his co-operative head on in the challenge, and to be fair it was a very long day in the heat.
2.DrinkwatersGalerita Goji Berrie.
Another lovely boy and close up to winner. 19mths old with an excellent head. Another in this entry with an almost flat skull. Although not in the best of coats what he had was of a lovely texture. Good reach of neck, and excellent topline. He moved very soundly, just preferred winner’s leg height and body on the day.
3.Allsops Eldhastens Fabel Firestorm at Thornevald (Imp Swe).
Open Dog (3), 2 abs.
1. Sharman’s Tridents Frodo.
Alone but deserved his place. 3 yrs of age and maturing nicely, excellent head and eye, good reach of neck, Blowing his coat but it was of a good texture. Correct harness and mask markings. Level topline, Nice tuckup into broad and sloping croup. Good size to his hocks enabled him to move freely. Just would like a bit more of him.
Veteran Bitch. (1), 1 abs.
Minor Puppy bitch (0).
Puppy Bitch (0).
Junior bitch (4), 2 Abs.
1.Howes Danga’s Diva X-Dotter of Valaller (imp Swe).
This 16mths girl really impressed. Excellent head with correctly sized ears. Lovely dark eye and good stop. Nice head planes and proportions. Lovely square muzzle ,good front and excellent reach of neck. She had well laid shoulders and her chest is developing nicely, lovely spring to her ribs, solid topline, and well angulated hindquarters. She was well muscled and a very sound mover. Will watch her career with interest.
2. Hackneys Starvon Dreams are Maid.
14mths and is still maturing but a beautiful head and expression. Good front and rock solid topline. Excellent markings. Good rear angulation, very attentive to her handler just not settled on the move today.
Graduate bitch (1) 1 abs.
Post graduate Bitch.(1).
Philips Katrina Des Fumees Du Nord (imp Bel).
Another beautiful girl 6yrs, lovely feminine head and expression, beautiful dark eyes, excellent front, loved her size and body proportions. Well marked. Nice oval shape to her chest in front. She has a good tuck up and good croup, well let down hocks which weren’t too big. Moved very soundly.
Limit Bitch (2).
1.Days Starvon Ziva.
Headed the best and most difficult class of the day for me to judge as I liked different attributes in these two girls. Winner has the most gorgeous feminine head and expression. 4yrs of age. Good head planes and proportions. An excellent front, good ribbing and well laid shoulders. Her coat was blowing but it was of good texture. Solid topline and sound mover.
2. Diamonds Eriksfjord Aurora Charm SHCM.
Different type, darker and shorter in back but higher on leg. Another ultra feminine girl, 2.5yrs good reach to her neck and lovely solid topline, which she held when moving. Good coat and markings. Nice length to her well sprung ribs. She had very well muscled quarters, which enabled her to move soundly around the ring. Just preferred winners front on the day, but a real stunner.
Open Bitch (6).
1. Drinkwaters Ch Galerita Hollie Berrie. CC. RBIS.
What a beautiful girl this is. I loved her size and body proportions. The most lovely feminine head and expression, lovely dark eye. Good head proportions with a nice stop. Well laid shoulders with a superb depth to her chest with sufficient height of leg to carry it off, and not appear corgi like. Solid topline, excellent coat texture and well marked. She has a well-angulated rear with correctly sized hocks. Moved very soundly especially behind producing the driving action required in this breed. Lost BOB as I preferred the winner’s front, but a very fine example of the breed.
2.Rands Hurstfield Renen Dancer at Kintalis. RCC.
Another lovely young bitch with the most beautiful feminine head and expression. She had a good front, well laid shoulders and good reach to her neck, her chest is developing nicely. Solid in topline, and she has a lovely bend to her stifle, and good hocks. I would prefer a slightly shorter loin. An enthusiastic showgirl who moved well considering the terrain.
3.Howes Pepperthyme On A Rainbow.
The Swedish Vallhund Society 2018 Special Award Classes
Judge: Jackie Tune (Rottalma)
Many thanks to the Swedish Vallhund Society for their kind invitation to judge the special award classes at the Championship Show. I very much enjoyed my day and I really appreciated that the exhibitors braved the extreme conditions so my thanks are extended to all those present. I found all exhibits to be of good temperament. Being in the Vallhund ring today as a judge definitely awakened my desire to return as an exhibitor in the future.
Special Award Junior Dog or Bitch (7/7)
1. Stockbridge's Valladar Call of Duty - Male of 15 months with much to like, substantial boy with good bone. Correct head with dark eye, strong neck into well laid shoulders, straight front.Correct proportions. Moved with drive despite the extreme heat. Pleased to know that my co judges also thought highly of this boy and he gained 2 CCs today I am sure he will soon attain his title.
2. Perry & Etches's Starvon Cryptic Spyda - Splitting hairs between first and second both have many of the same qualities. This boy also15 months is excellent breed type. Correct head with correct scissor bite good conformation and moved well. I just preferred the front assembly on 1.
3. Ludwig's Danga's D'Loui X -Son - Male of 16mths immature but with lots of promise
Special Award Open Dog or Bitch (7/6)
1.Diamond's Eriksfjord Aurora Charm SHCM - Lovely bitch that took my eye as she entered the ring and did not disappoint on further examination. 2 and half years old good breed type with feminine head and alert expression. Good front with correct body porportions. Moved well. Another exhibit knocking on the door of her Championship which I am sure will soon be achieved.
2. Drinkwater's Galerita Goji Berrie - Male of 19mths, Excellent breed type with good head and lovely dark eye. Correct dentition. Good conformation Moved and handled well. Pushed for first position but preferred feet of the winner.
3. Dodd's Hurstfield Renen Vixen at Tanellis - Quality bitch of three and half years with loads of ring presence. Excellent breed type.
CHAMPIONSHIP SHOW 2017
Judge – Lyn Etches
BEST IN SHOW - Starvon all eyes on me at Valltineya
RESERVE BEST IN SHOW - Mystarz lavish loitsu to Pepperthyme
BEST PUPPY IN SHOW - Danga's diva x-dotter of Valaller (imp SWE)
BEST VETERAN IN SHOW - CH Starvon Roumour has it
MINOR PUPPY DOG (2)
1st - Starvon Bring It On
2nd - Starvon Because we can at Soullaria
PUPPY DOG (1)
1st - Starvon Because we can at Soullaria
JUNIOR DOG (2/1)
1st - Meddobe spice's endeavour
POST GRAD DOG (5)
1st - Eriksfjord brave charm
2nd - Pepperthyme winter storm
3rd - Eldhastens fable firestorm at Thornevald
Res - Starvon all about me
VHC - Meddobe Charles Dickens
LIMIT DOG (3/2)
1st - Starvon all eyes on me at Valltineya
2nd - Thorjakker hundi homnelvik
OPEN DOG (4)
1st - CH IR CH Eriksfjord chilled bunny for Jarlalfvin
2nd - CH CH SWED CH FIN Svedala billy busvader at Pepperthyme
3rd - CH Pepperthyme golden noble at Kirkholme
4th - CH Starvon vanquish ShCM
VETERAN DOG (4/3)
1st - CH Eldhastens bobbo viking (imp SWE) ShCM
2nd - Starvon talk of the town
3rd - Meddobe torsten
DOG CC - Starvon all eyes on me at Valltineya
DOG RES CC - Eriksfjord brave charm
DOG PUPPY - Starvon Bring It On
DOG VETERAN - CH Eldhastens bobbo viking (imp SWE) ShCM
MINOR PUPPY BITCH (1)
1st - Starvon binit sinit dunit with Kirkholme
PUPPY BITCH (2)
1st - Danga's diva x-dotter of Valaller (imp SWE)
2nd - Rusern cradel of love at Kimaroff
GRADUATE BITCH (3/2)
1st - Eriksfjord aurora charm
2nd - Thorjakker hjorta harstad
POST GRAD BITCH (4/2)
1st - Katrina des fumees du nord (imp BEL)
2nd - Thorjakker hjorta harstad
LIMIT BITCH (3)
1st - Mystarz lavish loitsu to Pepperthyme
2nd - Starvon yakety yak
3rd - Hurstfield renen vixen at Tanellis
OPEN BITCH (5)
1st - CH Galerita hollie berrie
2nd - CH Pepperthyme Theodora
3rd - CH Starvon willamina
Res - Thorjakker topsey turvy at Valladar
VHC - Karmore cornish maid
VETERAN BITCH (3)
1st - CH Starvon Roumour has it
2nd - Onderaan de gele berg yira at Pepperthyme (imp NLD)
3rd - CH IR CH Eriksfjord magik bean
BITCH CC - Mystarz lavish loitsu to Pepperthyme
BITCH RES CC - Starvon yakety yak
BITCH PUPPY - Danga's diva x-dotter of Valaller (imp SWE)
BITCH VETERAN - CH Starvon Roumour has it
CHAMPIONSHIP SHOW 2016
Judge – Britt-Marie Young
Thank you very much to the Committee for inviting me and thank you to the exhibitors for such a lovely entry of 43 dogs. It was a lovely, sunny day with the ring outside, which I so much prefer, because the dogs show themselves off much better than inside a Hall. I have seen the breed develop over the years and I think they are doing very well overall and have greatly improved. The Swedish Vallhund is a breed who matures with age, just getting better and better, so please keep taking your oldies out. They need to be seen. Temperaments have always been good and so they were today. There were only a couple who did not like to stand on the table but once on the ground they were back to normal. There were several different types today, but all with something to like and admire. Construction in general was very good and fronts have improved, and I liked the lay of shoulders in most dogs and reach of neck. Bites and teeth were excellent with very white and clean teeth. Chins could have been better in some. Quite a few were out of coat, and because of the overall high quality I had to take that into consideration too. Movement was generally very good in profile but coming and going could have been better in a few. I also like to see the dogs showing a little of their own personality/character, which some did very well. One thing which has increased seems to be the number of lighter eye and the shape of eye. Dark and oval gives the correct expression, too light an eye and some bordering on round and some too small an eye does not. Sometimes the colour of the eye follows the colour of the coat, but never too light. I would also have liked some dogs with a little more bone and more masculinity.
PD (3) 1. Pallatina’s Starvon All Eyes on Me at Valltineya. Masculine 11 months old of a very good type and size, sturdy and firm in body, well balanced and well-constructed, good in head, mask, eye and bite, level topline, sound and active on the move, in good coat, very outgoing, one to watch. BPinShow. 2. Lee’s Eriksfjord Brave Charm. Eight months old outgoing puppy who impressed on the move, dark eye, good dentition, nicely balanced with level topline, sound in front and rear, well-muscled. 3.Hackney’s Starvon All About Me.
PGD (2,1) Sibley’s Thorjakker Ordlaf Orsa. Two years old and still maturing, needs more time. Pleasing overall in profile and type, good coat texture, level topline, needs more substance and chest needs to drop, well-muscled in h/q. Very positive on the move.
Limit Dog (4) 1. Fithern & Russel’s Hurstfield Renen Dasher at Rusern. Promising youngster, nearly 2 years old, good breed type and conformation, well made head, exc. bite, oval eye, good earset, good reach of neck, good fore and aft and quality of coat, very active and sound movement. Should do well. 2. Coombe’s Mystarz Jaunty Jaegar. Another promising dog I liked. Fraction smaller. Similar notes apply, I was nitpicking and in the end felt no. 1 had the edge on movement and overall performance on the day. 3. Peacock-Jackson’s Pepperthyme Golden Noble at Kirkholme.
Open Dog (4) What a lovely class to judge. 1. Paterson & West’s Ch. Starvon Wishful Thinking. All quality male, who at six years has come into his own. Balanced in outline. Exc. head, dark oval eye, exc. bite and mask, correct ear set. Sound to go over, good reach of neck, well made front and rear, level back, In good coat. Displayed free and active movement with good forward reach and powering so well from rear. Lovely character, was in top form today and worked hard to get the CC & BIS 2. Amon’s Ch/Sw/Fin. Ch. Svedala Billy Busvader at Pepperthyme (Imp. Sw.) Another top quality male, I liked very much, Six years old and of a very good breed type and conformation. Appealing in outline, also sound to go over and good in head department, front and rear. Harsh coat. Close decision. No. 1. had the edge on overall movement and was more animated. 3. Price’s Starvon Xpress Delivery at Coningsbear ShCM.
Veteran Dog (4) 1. Etches & Bayliss’ Ch. Hurstfield Red Rayda ShCM. Difficult to believe that this dog now is twelve years old. He certainly is proof that the vallhund, like a good wine gets better with age. I have judged him before. Exc. conformation and bone, well balanced and with a level topline, just right for substance, masculine, Typical head, oval eye, and colour in line with coat, good earset. He had an excellent scissor bite with very clean white teeth, which is very good at his age. He was in top form today and moved with good reach and drive from rear. RCC & BVinShow 2. Paterson’s Ch. Candace the Scandinavian. Another impressive male, I like. Eight years old and still in good condition , Balanced in outline, Masculine and well put together, Typical in head, good reach of neck and level topline. Moved well. 3. Dodd’s Starvon Talk of the Town.
MPB (2) 1. Diamond’s Eriksfjord Aurora Charm. 2. Paterson’s Eriksfjord Celestial Charm. Two litter sisters, eight months old, very pretty, lovely wedgeshaped heads, oval very dark eyes, good bites, nicely balanced over all, coats coming on, both moved soundly round the ring, no 1 was more alert and mature of the two, no doubt no. 2 will catch up and will change places in future.
PB (4,1) 1. Amon’s Mystarz Lavish Loitsu to Pepperthyme.BPB. 2. Coombes’ Mystarz Lavish Laji. Another two lovely littersisters, nine months old, good breed type, very similar, no. 1. fraction longer in back. Good in heads with dark oval eyes, giving typical expression, both of good construction, level toplines and coats coming on well, Both very attentive and used their ears, to nitpick, just preferred hind angulation on 1 and movement , sure these two will also change places many times in future as they mature. In the challenge for BP, the male looked more mature and was a little more positive on the move. 3. Drinkwater’s Trykeira Daleesha.
Junior B. (1) 1. Fithern & Russell’s Rusern Douglas Dragonfly. Very pretty bitch of 12 months, going through her teenage stage at the moment, nicely constructed overall, level topline and good reach of neck, good quality topcoat, but lacked undercoat, not very happy on the table but once on the ground she was happy and moved with confidence round the ring. Needs to mature on and gain more confidence. Her time will come.
Graduate B (1) 1. Dodd’s Hurstfield Renen Vixen at Tanellis. All alone in this class but a well-deserved 1st. Feminine and outgoing youngster, appealing in outline, Pleasing in head, dark eye, good bite, inquisitive expression, ears a little wide apart, well made fore and aft, level topline and good reach of neck, harsh top coat, good positive movement.
PG Bitch (2) 1. Day & West’s Starvon Ziva. Two year old girl who pleased overall, good type and well balanced, lovely head and expression, eye and mask, good earset. Moved well round the ring.2. Phillips’ Katrina Des Fumees du Nord. (Imp. Belg.) Feminine bitch, different type from 1, pleasing in profile with a good frame and firm topline, harsh topcoat but lacked some undercoat, moved well in profile but preferred front and rear movement of 1 above.
Limit B (5,1) 1. Allsop’s Karmore Cornish Maid. Full of quality. Three years old and coming into her own. Feminine with a lovely head piece, eye, bite, and mask, good set of ears which she used to advantage, well-constructed and angulated front and rear. Good reach of neck. Coat in good order, Free and active on the more, keeping her topline level at all times. RCC. 2. Rand’s Hurstfield Renen Dancer at Kintalis. Only 22 months old, showing promise, Lovely feminine head, good ear carriage and mask, very attentive expression, well put together, sturdily built with a good neckline and level topline. Needs to mature on. Moved well. 3. Howe’s Pepperthyme on a Rainbow.
Open B. (6,1) 1. West’s Starvon Valley of Dreams. Feminine and mature girl, five years old, wedge shaped head with good mask, bite, eye and ears, Appealing in outline, balanced and of good construction which showed up in her sound movement with good forward reach and good drive from rear. Just right for substance. And level topline. She has really come on since last I judged her. She has a lovely vallhund character and is very active and attentive. She gave that little bit extra of herself today. BCC & RBIS. I was told this was her third CC, Congratulations. 2. Stockbridge’s Thorjakker Topsy Turvy at Valladar. Another one I liked, five years old, pleasing in outline, wedgeshaped head, dark oval eyes, good mask and set of ears, good fore and aft, level topline, sound and positive movement, lacked the finish of one. 3.Amon’s Ch. Pepperthyme Theodora.
Veteran B (3) 1. West’s Ch. Starvon Rumour has it. An old favourite of mine and now 8 years old. Exc. breed type and conformation. Lovely head, feminine and sound, moved so well round the ring. Not in her best jacket today. Her overall quality and performance won her this class. 2. Coombe’s Ch. Mystarz Azzuro Gold ShCM. Another lovely golden oldie who at 10 years of age, is still going strong, of good breed type, a very sound bitch with a feminine head piece, good bite and markings, good depth of chest and level topline, also not in her best jacket today, moved positively with good strides round the ring. 3. Drinkwater’s Candace Sea of Dreams at Trykeira.
Britt-Marie Young (Judge)
SWEDISH VALLHUND SOCIETY 35th CHAMPIONSHIP SHOW 2015
JUDGE - Ms J BAYLISS
I did not expect to be judging the club show until next year. Unfortunately, our judge, Mrs Haddon was very ill, so the KC brought me forward, instead of next year. I thank the exhibitors, who accepted my placing. I do hope they all enjoyed their day.
Since judging in 2010, back ends have improved very much, with good bend of stifle and strong short hocks. Weak ones on the day were in the minority.
My winners were super and of good quality in the many of the classes . It was hard in some cases to choose and I went of movement and that great forward reach and strong hind action, on the day.
Just a note to watch. In the early years of the breed in this country, we had a lot of bad fronts. These were referred to as either Queen Ann chairs, or Cabriolet effect. We worked hard on getting rid of it hence, the problem was so improved, and it mostly disappeared. Now in some, it is back and please exhibitors and judge’s watch for this problem. The gene is there, it just does not need to be doubled up on. Fine bone is also a problem in some and size is also in some lacking.
Minor Puppy Dog (1 entry)
1st Sibleys Thorjakker Ordlaf Orsa, Pleasant youngster of good character, ex top line, good reach of neck, harsh coat, good head and eye.
Puppy Dog (1 Entry)
1st Russell and Fithern Lille Viking’s Ivar, Youngster with good happy character, slightly leggy and would like more bone. Ex coat good top line. Pleasing head and eye.
Junior Dog (1 Entry)
1st Prices Starvon You Got it at Coningsbear, Strong type ex top line, strong correct stifle and hocks, pleasing head and eye, moved well with good forward reach.
Post Graduate Dog (2 entries)
1st Etches and Moores Mystarz Ice Imperial, Ex front and correct type. Pleasing head and eye, strong rear, ex bend of stifle with short strong hock. Moved very soundly.
2nd Kents Vastgota Hunters Moon ST. Loved his head and eye, strong young male of correct type. Showed himself well. Good top line and correct outline. Would like better front.
Limit Dog (3 entries)
1st Dodds Starvon Talk of the Town Excellent type and correct front. With level top line, ex head and eye, correct 2-3 ratio, ex bend of stifle strong hocks. Won on more reach of neck and therefore a better shoulder placement. Res. CC
2nd Prices Starvon Xpress Delivery at Conningsbear Sh CM, Ex Type overall nice male, excellent head and eye. Overall pleasing Vallhund.
3rd Coombes, Mystarz Jaunty Jaegar.
Open Dog (6 entries)
1st Amons Swe/Fin Ch Svedala Billy Busvader at Pepperthyme (imp Swe), What a super Dog. All Male and correct for type and size. Ex Head and eye, beautiful front and well laid shoulders into level top line, well-padded tight correct shaped feet. Correct ratio of 2-3 and wonderful bone and substance. Moved very soundly. Please to award him Dog CC and Best in Show.
2nd Day and Wests Ch Starvon Reach for the Stars. Another lovely male of ex type and wonderful character. Ex head and eye and correct square strong jaw, very good front, level top line, and great harsh coat. Lovely tight padded feet. Super outline.
3r Fishers Ned Ch Stenrikas Nyfikne
Veteran Dog (3: 3Abs)
Minor Puppy Bitch (1 entry)
1st Day and Wests Starvon Ziva, pleasing type sweet character, excellent mask and markings, level top line, strong hocks and moved well. Pleased to award Best Puppy in Show.
Puppy Bitch (1 entry)
1st Coombes Millcreek’s Hightower Precious Gem under Mystarz, Typy youngster, very sweet expression. Good Mask, strong rear.
Junior Bitch (1 entry)
1st Simpsons Starvon You Sexy Thing. Sweet girl with pleasing expression. Level top line, not a lot of coat right now but has a good tight fitting jacket which is harsh. Moved well.
Post Graduate Bitch (5 entries:1Abs)
1st Allsops Karmore Cornish Maid. Lovely typy bitch with ex head and eye strong jaw good bone and tight feet. Great harsh coat. Level top line and moved very soundly. Res CC.
2nd Down and Russell Lady Lyra, Not Settled, but good type and correct front. Great stifle and level top line.
3rd Fitherns Vallier Enuf Isenuf
Limit Bitch (3 entries:1 abs)
1st Stockbridges Thorjakker Topsy Turvy at Valladar The more mature of the class entry. Moved well. Would like more substance on both of the exhibits.
2nd Simpsons Eriksfjord Dream Bunny, Finer in bone than 1, level top line, tight elbows good rear.
Open Bitch (6 entries:1abs)
1st Millards Vastgota True Topaz for Karmore, strong well developed bitch of ex type.2-3 ratio. Lovely head and eye. In good coat and had excellent front with correct shaped tight feet. Moved out very strongly with excellent reach and powerful hind action. Bitch CC Res Best in Show.
2nd Van Iperen-Hoevens Ch/IB/CS/ Ch Creme Delacreme Van De Kloostertuin ,Beautiful bitch of correct and ex type, 2-3 ratio and in good coat and mature. super head and eye. Correct front tight elbows, with ex shaped tight padded feet. Level top line and correct coat. Moved well but lost out to 1 on reach and power on the day.
3rd Fishers SE/NL/Ch Stenrikas Incredible Isabella
Veteran Bitch (2 entries:1abs)
1st Allsops Ch Toidi Moonlight Magic at Thornevald. 11 years young still with so much energy. Typy and in good coat. Ex head and eye and great front and rear.
Jacqui Bayliss Judge
SWEDISH VALLHUND SOCIETY CHAMPIONSHIP SHOW 2014
Judge - Paul Stanton
It was a great privilege and honour for me to judge the Swedish Vallhund Society Ch. Show, and I must say I did find it a little amusing that an Englishman living in Sweden is invited to judge a Swedish breed in England!
I would like to give my special thanks to the Secretary Judith Rand, for all her help before and during the show and her husband Peter who collected me from the hotel in Newbury and then returned me to Heathrow airport after the show, also to my most excellent steward Gill, for her help and friendliness.
I was a little disappointed with the entry mainly for the clubs sake as it is not cheap to bring over a foreign judge and put him up in a lovely hotel, so I do hope the show did not lose too much money? There was a very nice atmosphere around the ring and I thank the exhibitors for entering under me and giving me such a pleasant and interesting day.
The vast majority had excellent temperaments and were alert and happy with just the odd one a little overcome by the big day. I found head shape generally very good and the majority had correct ears and eyes but what did disturb me especially in the bitch classes was the number with weak underjaws and where there was not enough width to allow the canine teeth to fit properly. I will not mention any dogs in my critiques but I would like everyone to look at their dogs placement of canine teeth and see if and how much the lower canines are pressing in to or even growing up on the inside of the gums? I did think many of the males were smaller than the ones we usually see in Sweden but the females were about the same size, but one point that did worry me that quite a few were too short in body especially in males and while this may look attractive especially with a long neck is completely wrong! Most of the dogs had a decent amount of bone and mainly the length of ribcage was good but there were a few too many with rather slab sided ribs. Front and rear angulation was quite ok on most of the dogs and it was obvious those that were lacking in angulations as they either moved with too short a reach in front or tripping behind. Front legs were quite good generally but of course there is always room for improvement. The condition of the dogs was really good with most being well muscled and the coats were clean even if some were a little out of coat but this I prefer to those who had coats blown up to look almost fluffy which is certainly not wind or rainproof and to my eye also looks very unattractive and spoils the smart outline this breed should have!
I was extremely happy with my winners and know they would do really well in Sweden but as I judged the Swedish Club Show in 2012, I still think Sweden still has a little more in depth of quality.
Veteran Dog (4 entries)
1) Etches & Bayliss Ch Hursfield Red Rayda Sh.CM, 10½ years in superb condition, what caught my eye immediately was his very strong topline. Beautiful masculine head and expression, very well shaped body with long ribcage, excellent bone, very good angulations front and back, in lovely coat with attractive colour, even at his age he moved so soundly and typically, a real showman. RDCC & BVIS
2) Drinkwaters Ch Bodenies Eko Eccles (imp Fin), a most lovely 7 year old with excellent outline, very good masculine head and expression, topline should be straighter and a little stronger, very good body, excellent bone and feet, nice colour and markings, a sound moving dog but needs a longer gait, coat is a little too open.
3)Phillips Linmays Master Magician
Minor Puppy Dog (0 entries)
Puppy Dog (2 entries)
1) Prices Starvon You Got It At Coningsbear, 10 months very smart red pup who is just a little too compact in body, well-shaped head with lovely ears and eyes, very good front with enough bone, feet turn out a little too much, excellent hindquarters, in lovely coat and condition, lovely side gait but needs to develop in front, shows really well. BPD & BPIS
2) Wiltons Meddobe Charles Dickens, 11 months with an excellent balance and length of back, very nice expression but needs a stronger muzzle, quite a good body for age but would like a little heavier bone, very good hindquarters but upper arm a little straight, one that will need a lot of time to develop and gain more self confidence.
Junior Dog (2 entries)
1) Etches & Moores Mystarz Ice Imperial, 13 months grey with an excellent balance and outline but still very immature, good head shape and just masculine enough, excellent neck & topline, needs to develop in the front, good hind angulation, very good coat quality, excellent side movement with happy and stylish temperament.
2) Coombes Mystarz Jaunty Jaegar, strong 13 months old of excellent size, lovely masculine head and expression, very strong neck, would like a longer breast bone and better shaped ribcage, upper arm is rather straight, front needs to develop which will improve his topline, moves well behind but narrow in front but has excellent style, excellent coat for his age.
Graduate Dog (0 entries)
Post Graduate Dog (3 entries)
1) Amons Pepperthyme Tapani, Stylish male of excellent size and enough length of body, most lovely head and expression, very good bone, excellent ribcage, excellent hindquarters but needs a little more angulation in front,, very good hind & side movement but needs to be stronger in front, excellent style and in lovely coat, just needs a little more time to develop especially in body.
2) Peacock-Jacksons Pepperthyme Golden Noble at Kirkholme, elegant dog but tall and high on legs, very nice expression but needs a little stronger muzzle, enough bone for his size, excellent side gait, shows beautifully and in lovely coat.
3) Prices Starvon Uncle Sam at Coningsbear
Limit Dog (5 entries)
1) Prices Starvon Xpress Delivery at Coningsbear, medium sized red with excellent balance in body but needs more length of neck, excellent head shape but more stop would give a better expression, very good bone and body, excellent hindquarters and quite good angulations in front, excellent coat, really good side movement and carries himself well.
2) Dodds Starvon Talk of the Town, I really like the balance of this grey dog who has a beautiful head and expression, very good neck and forechest, good bone, it is unfortunate that his topline is not straighter and that he does not have longer & stronger hind movement, in excellent coat and good style.
3) Drinkwaters Eriksfford Takiuus
Open Dog (6 entries)
1) Paterson & Wests Starvon Wishful Thinking, a beautifully balanced male with a lovely masculine head and expression, long and strong neck which is well set in to a very strong topline, very good body and forechest, good front, good balance in angulations which enables him to move soundly and with excellent reach and drive, in excellent coat and has great style. Delighted to award him the DCC,BOB & BIS
2) Lewis Ch Starvon Vanquish Sh. CM, another top quality male of excellent size, lovely head and expression, excellent neck and strong topline, well developed and strong body, excellent hindquarters and movement but a little straight in upper arm and would like a little tighter in front movement, very stylish and in beautiful coat with lovely colour.
3) Amons SE & FI Ch Svedala Billy Busvader at Pepperthyme CNAF TAF
Veteran Bitch (1 entry)
1)Allsops Ch. Toidi Moonlight Magic at Thornevald, nearly eleven years old and in lovely condition, very well balanced with a good head shape and expression despite her rather big ears, beautiful neck, excellent forechest and ribcage, well angulated rear but a little straight in front angulation, excellent reach and drive but now a little loose front and back, in lovely coat and has a wonderful temperament.
Minor Puppy Bitch (1 entry)
1) Bayliss Jazz Juste Van De Kloostertuin, very stylish 6 months old puppy, excellent expression with lovely eyes, beautiful neck well set into a strong topline, adequate bone for her size, very good body for age but still a little high on the legs, moves very well from the side but needs to develop moving front and back, good coat for age, very alert and happy.
Puppy Bitch (1 entry)
1) Wests Starvon Yakety Yak, a lovely pup with beautiful silhouette and size, lovely feminine expression but has a narrow underjaw, excellent neck and strong topline, she is moderately angulated front and back but in good balance which allows her to move with a good free flowing side movement, very good body for age, just needs to develop in her front assembly, excellent temperament and shows very well. BPB
Junior Bitch (1 entry)
1) Coombes Mystarz Ice Spice Baby, excellent size and very elegant with a good balance, beautiful head shape, hope the eyes will darken a little, very good bone and has a good length of ribcage which still needs to develop as does her front, very good hind angulation but a little straight in shoulders, elegant neck and good topline, excellent side movement but needs to develop and be steadier front and back, carries her tail well, has a most lovely temperament and excellent style.
Graduate bitch (3 entries)
1) Allsops Karmore Cornish Maid, excellent size with correct length of body which still needs to fill out a little more, well shaped head with good expression but narrow in underjaw, good bone, excellent hindquarters, in excellent coat of lovely quality, very good side movement but loose in front, she gives that good sturdy appearance.
2) Fitherns Vallier Enuf Isenuf, a little too big and looking rather long, needs stronger bone, very nice head but rather weak underjaw, excellent neck, topline needs to be much stronger, would move better with more angulation front and back, quite good coat and has a very sweet temperament, still looks like a raw youngster.
3) Wiltons Meddobe Spice
Post Graduate Bitch (2 entries)
1) Russell & Downs Lady Lyra, excellent size and very good balance with a lovely neck, well-shaped head, she has enough bone and quite a good body and forechest, needs to be a little stronger in topline, moves very well from the side with good style, in lovely coat of excellent quality, really lovely temperament. I liked this bitches overall type and quality to award her the RBCC.
2) Phillips Katrina Des Fumees Du Nord (imp), looking like a very immature youngster still, nice well shaped feminine head with good expression, too light in bone and high on legs, lacking in hind angulation and drive, in quite good coat.
Limit Bitch (7 entries 1 absent)
Difficult class as so uneven in type and with quite a few that were too narrow in underjaw .
1) Richards Fantasy Lucy Locket of Palostras, excellent strong bitch with good substance and super muscles, lovely head but a little narrow in underjaw, beautiful neck, excellent body and forechest, moves very well but topline is a little loose, in lovely coat.
2) Coombes Fennican Elegance Under Mystarz, elegant bitch of excellent size and balance, feminine head but a little weak in muzzle and narrow in underjaw, Excellent neck and topline, very good hindquarters but would like a better angulated and stronger front which shows in movement although she has a lovely side gait, quite well bodied, good coat quality, excellent style.
3) Stockbridges Thorakker Topsy Turvy
Open Bitch (3 entries)
1) Amons Ch Pepperthyme Theodora, a most beautifully balanced bitch with strong elegant neck and topline, very good bone, beautiful feminine expression but a rather narrow underjaw, strong well developed body with excellent hindquarters, moves very soundly with long and free flowing movements, showed really well and in excellent coat and condition, very happy to award her the BCC & RBIS
2) Bayliss Tridents Vanja at Hurstfield, elegant bitch with lovely balance, muzzle is a little thin but still a very feminine expression, beautiful neck which she uses well, topline is strong but a little high in the back due to a rather loose front, moves very well from the side with lovely style and attitude, in excellent condition.
3) Wests Ch Starvon Rumour Has It
Judge: Paul Stanton (Sweden)
SWEDISH VALLHUND SOCIETY CHAMPIONSHIP SHOW RESULTS 2013
JUDGE ~ MRS M BRYANT
1st Ch Hurstfield Red Rayda BVIS
2nd Ch Starvon Fantastic Light
MINOR PUPPY DOG
1st Pepperthyme Tapani RBPIS
2nd Thorjakker Hundi Homnelvik
3rd Eriksfjord Prince Bunny
1st Starvon Xpress Delivery at Coningsbear
2nd Pepperthyme Golden Earl
3rd Stillmoor Dennis The Menace
POST GRADUATE DOG
1st Starvon Talk Of The Town RDCC
2nd Pepperthyme Golden Noble at Kirkholme
3rd Starvon Uncle Sam at Coningsbear
4th Starvon Spirit of Christmas
1st Starvon Veni Vidi Vici
2nd Eriksfjord Taikuss
3rd Upton Rebus
1st Ch Eldhastens Bobbo Viking (imp swe) ShCM DCC + BIS
2nd Ch Starvon Vanquish ShCM
3rd Ch Mystarz Flyer of the Future
4th Vallier Donatello at Kirkholme
5th Bodensis Eko Eccles (imp fin) JWW08
1st Ch Toidi Moonlight Magic at Thornevald RVIS
2nd Ch Pepperthyme Coral Bay
3rd Ch Trykeira Chona
MINOR PUPPY BITCH
1st Pepperthyme Theodora
2nd Thorjakker Hrefna Honefoss by Peakdreams
3rd Thorjakker Hjorta Harstad
4th Thorjakker Helga Haugesund
5th Karmore Cornish Maid
1st Galerita Hollie Berrie BPIS
2nd Thorjakker Hrefna Honefoss by Peakdreams
3rd Thorjakker Hjorta Harstad
4th Thorjakker Helga Haugesund
1st Fennican Elegance under Mystarz (imp fin) RBCC
2nd Vallier Enuf Isenuf
1st Thorjakker Topsy Turvy
1st Eriksfjord Dream Bunny
2nd Yosemite Swift River at Starvon
1st Upton Riddle
2nd Fantasi Lucy Locket of Palostras (imp usa)
3rd Candace Sea of Storms
1st Ch Starvon Rumour Has It BCC + RBIS
2nd Candace Sea of Dreams at Trykeira
3rd Vallier Contralto